Sunday, July 14, 2013

Summer Book Study~ The Read-Aloud Handbook Ch. 2 When to Begin (And End) Read Aloud.

LOVE Chapter 2!

This was such a fun chapter to read. My early childhood heart starts beating fast when I read things like "If a child is old enough to talk to, she is old enough to read to." Brain research just excites me and gets me all passionate! I love that Trelease gives us the research background to support reading to children early, even in UTERO! Yes!!!!

The anecdotal stories are so touching and really bring to life the realities of the benefits of reading aloud to children starting when they are very young.

I think the factors for home environments that support students responding to classroom instruction without difficulty are worth sharing with parents. I often have to remind myself that what seems like common sense to my early childhood education focused brain is not necessarily the same as what others may think.
I will share this list with families this fall at our Parent Orientation Night!
1.Read to the child on a regular basis.
2.Have a wide variety of printed materials available in your home.
3.Supply your child with paper and pencils.
4.Be involved in your child's interests in books, reading, story telling, and curiosity.
*I love that Trelease points out that none of these factors have to cost a lot of money but rather simply requires parents are involved and interested.

As an early childhood teacher I found it a good reminder that when young children do not have experiences with books they will struggle with maintaining attention during a read-aloud. Here is yet another reason to help parents understand the importance to reading to their children at home at an early age and why as early childhood educators we must dedicate classroom time to the read aloud.

I found Trelease's explanation of reading levels and listening levels insightful and it caused me to rethink my own practices with reading aloud to my students. I plan to pay closer attention to the books I am choosing to read and perhaps step up some of the book levels that I am reading to my class.

Lastly, I love how Trelease touches on the idea that literature speaks to the heart of people. He writes "...you make better people by educating children's brains and hearts."  RIGHT!

Excited to read chapter three!!!
Join the study at PreK-Pages
Previous Chapter Reflections:
Chapter 1