Sunday, January 13, 2013

"Snow Much Fun"... Winter Inspired Stories and Activities


The past few weeks we have been doing some fun winter inspired activities in our preschool room.

First we read Snowmen at Night by Caralyn Buehner

After reading the story I invited the children to create a crayon relief picture by drawing a snow scene on blue paper and then painting over the top of it with blue liquid watercolor. Then I put them all together with a book ring to make a quick and easy class book.


We also read The Biggest Best Snowman Ever by Margery Cuyler. Then I paired up the children and gave them a stack of construction paper snowballs. I told them they could use the snowballs to measure each other and see how many snowballs tall they were. *I actually demonstrated this to the kids first showing them how to lay on the floor on their back and then their partner would lay the snowballs end to end beginning at their feet and ending at their head. Then I showed them how they could count the snowballs with their partner.

After completing the activity I had the children draw in their journal a picture of how many snowballs tall they were and we helped them write the number on their journal response. I have created this FREE Snowball Measuring Activity Page for use with this activity. You can find it in my TPT store.


My favorite activity was having the children create "Snow Beings", after reading the book Snowballs by Lois Ehlert. I provided them with blank paper plate snow bodies, white glue, and lots of "Good Stuff". They were so creative! They made snow boys, snow dads, snow dogs and more.... :)

It was SNOW MUCH FUN!





 
 
You can find these books at Amazon!




Enjoy!